Monday, May 18, 2009

MagMadness MONDAY!!!

Hi All! It's been a while since we've done a random Monday post and I have a question. I am a little perplexed at the image I am conjuring up for myself in the minds of my children and wanted to know if anyone else out there has the same issue. Here is a conversation I had with my kids the other day that illustrates my point:

KIDS: Mom, do you still have to go to school?

MOM: I don't have to. I've already finished school.

KIDS: (in amazement) You're already finished?

MOM: Yes. I know everything now.

KIDS: So, when you went to school you learned how to clean?

MOM: Uh....is that what you think I learned in school?

KIDS: Yeah.

MOM: So.....do you think that's all Mom knows how to do?

KIDS: No. You can do other stuff.

MOM: Like what?

KIDS: Like laundry, changing diapers, cooking, making beds.

MOM: This conversation is over.

Soooooo........I know that because I have small children, I have to spend most of my time doing the tasks mentioned above. But this conversation got me remembering what it was like to be a kid and viewing my mom in pretty much the same way. She was the woman who took care of everything. I didn't realize, until now, that she was like me, feeling the same as she did when she was 20, except now she has all these little people around her. I also don't think I've changed much as far as looks go, but when I was showing the girls pictures of our wedding, they said I didn't look like me. I guess I have changed.
It really doesn't bother me, I am humored by the whole thing. But is it going to take until they're moms to see that there is a whole other life I lived before they came? I don't miss that life-but it is still a part of who I am, and I want some appreciation for it, darn it!
In the meantime, I will be taking a hiatus from cleaning and spending all of my time pouring over my old humanities textbooks and English literature so that when we have this conversation again it will hopefully go something like this:

KIDS: Mom, is it in school where you learned about anti-disestablishment tyrannism, and when are we ever going to finish our talk on existentionalism as it is portrayed in Camus'
The Stranger
?

MOM: Blessed children, come sit at my feet and glean from the wisdom that is your mother.

Only in my dreams.

6 comments:

Mary said...

hahaha....I secretly feel like you don't know what the topic is about that you mentioned in your "dream sequence"....but if you do...GO YOU! :) haha.

Catherine said...

well, I don't know WHAT my kids think I learned in school. But I still work very part time as a nurse, so hopefully, they think I learned that in college. Who knows.

And I don't think that they believe I'm a professional "cleaner" because I HATE doing it, and usually wait until they're in bed to do most of it, so it doesn't get messed up all over again in less than 5 seconds. I mean, REALLY -- is it POSSIBLE to have a clean kitchen floor for more than 15 minutes with kids this age??!! I think something gets spilled on it at least 5 times a day. So, why bother? I wait until it's NICE & STICKY before I get down there and bother with it. That, or if we have company . . . and even that's a judgement call . . .

annette said...

ha!! you make me laugh! see that another thing you can do Be Funny.

Cameron and Cindy said...

You are so funny! I love you Sarah!

Lucky Mommy said...

Ha, ha! That's so great. Why don't you read them some of your old papers as bedtime stories? They'd think you were so smart, except they wouldn't listen to you longer than 5 seconds. That's too funny. And I am impressed at your fancy lingo and literature analysis! They'll appreciate you when you start helping them with your homework. And when they become moms. Too funny.

Kristy said...

You have no idea how much we miss you guys!!