Monday, July 28, 2008

MagMadness MONDAY!!!



KIDS CAN HEAR...APPARENTLY


We were on vacation last week and, therefore, could not impart upon you our vast wisdom and knowledge for MagMadness Monday. I'm afraid this Monday will be more of the same. However, Rachel did say a couple of funny things this week worth sharing. Our conversation went something like this:

RACHEL: Mom, where do Aladdin and Jasmine live?

MOM: I'm not really sure.

RACHEL: Just guess.

MOM: Okay. I think they live in India or Morocco or some place like that.(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

RACHEL: Oh, like "Morocco Bama".

MOM: Where did you hear that name?

RACHEL: From that news you play in the car. Who is that?

MOM: He wants to be the next President of our country.

RACHEL: Do you want him to be the next president?

MOM: I'm sort of leaning toward "no".

RACHEL: Why not?

MOM: Because I don't really agree with the things he stands for.

RACHEL: Then I don't want him to be President, either.

Oh the power and the influence I hold in my hand...(insert sinister chuckle here). If only it were that easy to influence her on everything else. Unfortunately, it's not.
This experience made me realize that our kids aren't deaf, despite how many times you ask them to pick up their toys or get their shoes on, as they stare right through you. They do have, what I like to call, selective hearing.
When I take the kids to the doctor for their checkups, he always asks if they're hearing "when they want to". And he's exactly right. They hear you when they want to. The problem lies with the fact that you can't predict when that will be, and what it is they will be tuning in to. Case in point: Yesterday, my fourth child, Shawn(age 33), was teasing and taunting Brooke(age 4) to the point where she was screaming louder than Rachel's movie. With her eyes firmly fixed on the TV screen, Rachel yells out, "IGNORE HIM!"
Hmm...where has she heard that one? Kids do hear. I guess we'd better pay attention to what they hear or it will come back to haunt us...

6 comments:

Mary said...

So cute, Sar! Rachel is so cute. I'm glad you had fun last week on your trip. We just got back from Utah which was fun. I got your message by the way, I will call you soon! Love your cute fam!

Nicole said...

Ha Ha Sarah, you are so funny. I can totally relate to poor Brookie's pain, I got teased by Shawn a lot too. That was some solid advice from Rachel. By the way, Princess Jasmine and Aladdin live in Jordan, in Aquaba. Yep, I've been there. :)

Mags said...

I stand corrected. Thanks, Nic! We miss you guys and hope you're having fun on the farm. Give Scottie a smooch from us!

Lucky Mommy said...

Sam is crying right now instead of taking his nap because he wants to watch the guys mow the lawn outside. I guess I should just ignore him . . . or give in. I never know. Give Rachel a squeeze for me!

Catherine said...

Morocco Bama!! I love it!!! That is classic.

Catherine said...

I agree, Sarah, if we lived anywhere near each other, our families would be best buddies. Be sure to look us up if you're ever in Texas